Thursday, June 9, 2011

30 Year Anniversary

Mom

I learned many little lessons from a thing that I used to dread during my summers growing up. Mom’s infamous “job chart.” All the other kids seemed like they had an easy breezy summer and we were stuck inside doing jobs! That’s what I thought when I was too young to appreciate what you were teaching me mom.


One lesson I learned from you and the job chart is- you do the job the right way the first time or else you have to do it again later. Even if it meant wiping the entire floor with a teeny rag rather than a mop, it was better to do it right. I remember many times Minds and I trying to get away with just spot mopping and I can say mom has the eyes of an eagle because she would always catch us. But it taught me to go the extra mile and do it right!


Another lesson I learned from those lists were your priorities. Number one on your list for me was always the same- pray. Number two was read scriptures. That got me into the habit of reading and praying every day and it also taught me to put those things first in my life and everything else will work out. The thing is you didn’t just tell me to do those things, I saw you live it too. I can remember many times going in to your room to ask a question and you were on her knees praying or on your bed studying scriptures. Thanks for that example mom and for helping me develop that important habit in my life. And I guess I can finally say thanks for the job charts!


I also learned how important it is to take time for the individual from you. I remember one time when you were the Stake Young Women’s leader and you took roses and a little card to each one of the young women who were in the Olympus play. It was a lot of work and time, but you wanted to make each of them feel like they were special and they did. More than one young woman in the stake or ward has told me how much she loved you as their president cause they knew you really cared about them. You know how to make each individual feel important and loved whether it’s your grandkid, daughter, young woman, sister, brother, friend, husband, or parents.

Mom thanks for always being there for me and for taking such good care of me even when I’m so far away.


What I have learned from their marriage:

You talk positively about each and put each other up. I remember when mom got back from dad’s high school reunion and she said, “I was so proud to be married to someone who was friends with everyone there, whether they were the cool jocks or the nerds, they all knew dad and respected him.” I remember another time dad talking to me about what an amazing mother mom has always been to us kids. He said that she would do anything for her family and that is so true.


I’m so grateful for your individual examples to us and for the example of your 30 year marriage! You are both incredible and I’m so grateful that I belong to you both! I love you mom and dad! Happy 30th Anniversary!!

I love you Mom and Dad!!!


Love, Kels



No comments:

Post a Comment